A morning of pigs
|22 Mar 2020 10:00 AM - 12:30 PM||Brook House Farm||Maria Naylor|
Please note: This event has been cancelled due to the current Corona Virus outbreak.
We will be in touch with all those who are booked on this course to offer a refund. We hope to reschedule the course once government advice and the health situation permits.
Learn everything you need to know about keeping pigs on a smallholding!
On our fun morning of pig keeping, you will learn about:
- The legislation required that governs both the keeping and movement of pigs – and the requirements of the pig keeper to keep within this legislation.
- Selecting the right area within the small holding to keep your pigs.
- Options for pig housing, and for bedding.
- Different types of fencing for keeping your pig contained
- Selecting the right breed of pig for your needs, including where to source the right weaner.
- Handling your pig safely and completing basic health checks.
- What to feed your pigs from weaners through to slaughter, to ensure the correct fat coverage.
- Preparing your pigs for slaughter, choosing an abattoir and butcher.
- Selecting the right cuts for your needs.
This course is run by none other than former chair of SFTG, former treasurer of SFTG and renowned pig expert Maria Naylor, so you can be guaranteed a really enjoyable session.
Although this course is aimed predominantly at those of you raising your own home reared meat, much of the information will be just as relevant if you prefer to keep your pigs as pets.
Depending on the interests of those who come on the course, we may also cover such items as breeding and showing your pigs.
This event is fully booked.